Saturday, August 22, 2009

Grilled Cedar-Planked Salmon

Even though it feels like fall, the calendar still reads August. So that means the grill is still in full use and the Cubs are out of the division race. Oh well, there's always next year.

Salmon is something I wished I ate more because it's damn tasty and it is good for you. Omega 3's are good for the heart, you know. I also wish that my budget could afford wild caught salmon instead of farm raised, I mostly buy the latter. The taste and price difference is prevalent! Almost every time I eat salmon at home, it is from grilling on a cedar plank. I bought these planks a few years ago and love them, especially for fish. Just be sure to soak them for at least 2 hours, preferably longer. Once I soaked a plank for only an hour, it ended up on fire. Good thing I bought four. Next time I'll try soaking in wine to see if that imparts more flavor.

Grilled Cedar-Planked Salmon

Salmon Filets
Vegetable Oil
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Lemon Slices

Depending on the size of your plank/filets, soak one or two planks in water for 2-3 hrs. Pat dry once ready and coat each side with vegetable oil.

Pre-heat grill to about 450 F for about 10 minutes. Place planks over direct medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.

As with all meat, allow some time between fridge and grill/oven/stovetop/campfire/engine block/whatever.

Coat salmon with olive oil and place on plank skin side down. Sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. Grill for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, then for about 5-8 minutes over medium-low heat, depending on the thickness and how you like your salmon. I like mine firm, somewhat well done. Keep the lid closed to prevent flare-ups, and keep that spray water bottle handy.

Once done, plate it up and throw a couple lemon slices over the salmon, squeeze a little lemon juice over that and enjoy.

Oh you need a condiment? Dill and salmon are good friends.

This time I just went with risotto that sports a Caitlin-style topping of parmeggiano reggiano. You don't still use that stuff in the round, green plastic container for parmesan cheese, do you? Find yourself a microplane and a hunk of parm-reg. Email me for where to send the thank you card.

Dill Sauce-

1/4 C mayo
1 TB fresh dill, finely chopped
1/4 ts garlic, minced
1/4 ts shallot, minced
dash of lemon juice
s&p



No comments:

Post a Comment