Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Teenagers like to sleep in. Sometimes until Noon, if left undisturbed. I'm sure some days that's the state parents prefer. I was a fan of sleeping in for a while, but if there were chores to be done or some other reason to not sleep half the day, there was always a way to get me vertical. If my mother wanted me out of bed on the weekend, it was simple- make a batch of blueberry muffins. The odor crawling up the stairs to lure me out of sleep was irresistible. Of course I wanted to remain prone, to revel in one's laziness cocooned under the sheets, (especially in winter) but it's a futile attempt. The smell of those muffins and coffee, combined with the mental image of a nice slab of butter melting on a torn open muffin half, you gotta get up and get after that. If you love blueberry as much as I do (I have blueberry vinegar) you should whip these out.

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
6 scones

2 C AP flour
1 TB baking powder
1/2 ts kosher
2 TB white sugar
5 TB unsalted butter, frozen, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 C heavy cream
1 C fresh blueberries, washed

glaze-
3 to 4 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
2 C confectioners sugar

Fire up the heater to four honey. Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Add the chilled butter cubes, and either cut in with two forks, a pastry blender, or my preferred method- the food processor. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of said large bowl, stir in the cream until just blended. Fold in the berries, being careful to not mash them, or the color will bleed into the dough. Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface and shape into a rough circle. Cut into 6 even pieces. Brush with a bit of the cream, or use an egg wash. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 25-30 minutes, or until nicely golden brown.

Add the glaze once the scones are out of the oven and cool to the touch-combine both ingredients, whisk until desired consistency, which is thick yet pourable. Adjust the amount of juice as necessary. Drizzle onto scones, sprinkle with sugar if desired.

I don't bake much, and I certainly don't make too many glazes. The recipe for this one called for way too much lemon juice, as you can see my glaze was too runny and not much stuck to the scones, so I have adjusted the amount shown so you won't have this problem.

These are best eaten within an hour, although they should last a day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment