Monday, January 16, 2012

Butterscotch Bars

You may call them blondies, but around my house they were known as butterscotch bars.  I believe they are called blondies as the opposite of brownies.  Brownies are okay, but these cookie bars are my preference.  I'm not in love with chocolate, my sweet tooth is baby small.  You don't see many dessert recipes on BLT.  These bars though, are tasty enough to get an ass-whooping over. 

I'm sure I've been yelled at by my parents many times for eating something, but this one sticks out the most in my memory.  I was 8 or so, plus/minus a couple years.  My Mom baked up a batch of butterscotch bars, and they were perfuming the house with an incredibly delicious odor.  It was the afternoon, and I was told these bars were to be saved for later, and not to eat them.  They were packed in a rectangular plastic tupperware, separated by parchment, cooling uncovered on top of the microwave.  I gave it my best, but I just couldn't resist sneaking one.  I'm sure the heist was ninja-like, and soon I was in the corner of the seldom used family room, hiding behind an armchair savoring my stolen treat, capturing the escaping crumbs trying to act as evidence.  Not long after my last bite the missing cookie bar was noticed, and then me hiding in my secret dessert spot.  I probably didn't think it was worth it while getting my ass paddled, but maybe after a few hours my mind changed.  I can't remember if I was allowed to have any more after my stunt, but I think I got the best one anyway.  

These bars are very easy- it only takes one bowl, a spoon, and a pan.  That's not difficult to handle.  These butterscotch bars are dense and rich, thus the low yield is a perfect amount.  For a crowd, double the recipe and use two 8X8 pans.

Butterscotch Bars
9 pieces

1/2 C unsalted butter, browned
1 C dark brown sugar, packed of course
1 large egg, beaten
1 ts vanilla extract, the good stuff if available
1/2 ts baking powder
1/8 ts baking soda
1 C AP flour
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/3 C butterscotch chips

Fire up the oven to three fifty degrees Fahrenheit.  Butter an 8x8 glass baking dish, lightly dust with flour.  Brown the butter for a couple minutes in a medium skillet, then add to the sugar in a mixing bowl and stir it up.  Stir in the egg and vanilla, then add the dry goods- flour, salt, powder and soda.  Mix well, then sprinkle in the butterscotch chips.  Stir well and spread into the baking dish, using your hand to layer evenly.  Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, it will be done when a toothpick inserted at the thickest part comes out clean.  Let cool an hour or so and then cut into 9 bars.  Best at room temp the same day, although will keep for a few days at room temp, can also be frozen.  It's up to you if you want to hide behind a chair while enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment